[lug] how to change default app under xubuntu/xfce

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Nov 23 12:49:32 MST 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:03:24 -0700
pjr at ucar.edu (Phil Rasch) wrote:

> Thanks Louis,
>
> I am using xubuntu gutsy gibbon (7.10) installed from the alternate
> CD.

I don't use xubuntu, but I do use Xfce, so might be able to point you
in the right direction at least...

> You could be right about waiting, but I would still be interested in
> hearing about tweaking xfce.
>
> I am a complete novice at this, but it looks to me as though xfce
> using the gconf paradigm for manipulating the configuration.

Well, there could be two places where you might need to change this:
Xfce shouldn't use gconf. It does however use and honor xdg settings.

1. xdg gets it's information from installed applications .desktop
files.
On my fedora system here at least you can use 'xdg-mime' to see what
default applications are set for what mime types, for example:

xdg-mime query default image/jpg

gives me:

gnome-eog.desktop

So the Eye of Gnome application is the default for that type.
If I wanted to change that I could use it to reset the default to say:

xdg-mime default gnome-gqview.desktop image/jpg

it would use gqview to open the files with that type.

The other place it could be is if you are using the Thunar file
browser. If that is the case you can go and select your dvd/cd, then go
to file->open with other application->select whatever you want and
check the 'use as default for this kind of file'.

> Phil

kevin