[lug] domain registrat recommendations

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Dec 3 13:53:10 MST 2007

Lori Reed wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:
>
>> Lori Reed wrote:
>>
>>> They're Linux based and as a Canadian company there may be some
>>> advantages with regard to the madness that is Homeland Security.
>>
>> Like?
>
> Let's say some new piece of legislation is passed requiring all isps and
> domain hosts to archive their subscribers email and make it available to
>   some govt agency without a warrant (just like your public library
> records). That would not apply to my lightning-rose.com email accounts.

They monitor that type of thing via direct backbone links.  No need to
bother the little end-ISP's at all.

AT&T & Verizon play along (UUNet is part of Verizon now), Global
Crossing is watched like a hawk (foreign owned) and is probably the most
monitored, and only Qwest (of all strange things -- which includes a lot
of domestic fiber on Anchutz's former railroad's track lines) seems to
have stood up to illegal wiretapping of customers -- costing them a lot
of money.  (Read some of the proceedings of the Naccio trial.)  Not much
info on what Level 3 does.  Verio probably plays along for the same
reason Global Crossing does -- foreign owned company.  And Cogent really
doesn't have bandwidth of their own, they just ride on everyone else's
pipes.

Plus, in the above hypothetical situation, you're probably communicating
with someone in the U.S., so -- your e-mail would be archived anyway.

The Internet without encryption (and perhaps even with - NSA's power
demands have caused rolling blackouts at their main facilities which has
hit the public press in the last year or so) is not a truly
private/secure means of communication.

Never has been, never will be.  No matter where you register your domains.

Nate