[lug] xen versus vmware

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Dec 3 17:21:14 MST 2007

Nate Duehr wrote:
> karl horlen wrote:
>
>> I believe with vmware, one can actually use a tool to
>> create a virtual machine of an existing windows
>> installation which sounds like a time saver.
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who has the secret decoder ring on the 20
> different versions of VMWare these days, and the benefits vs. cost of
> each... if we find anyone VMWare-savvy enough to answer your question, too.
>
> :-)
>
> Nate

I don't have the decoder ring, but I've seen one on TV ;)

I thought VMware was basically three offerings with some supporting
software: Workstation, GSX/Server, ESX/Virtual Infrastructure.  There is
a tool for doing physical to virtual migrations (P2V) called Converter
(mileage varies from what I've heard).

I think Workstation and Server are fairly similar except that
Workstation has support for lots of snapshots.  Server is free and is
nice for trying out different linux distributions, doing tests of custom
linux loads, having a windows VM for doing support for family/friends
when you don't actually have any use for it otherwise, ...

The Virtual Infrastructure (formerly ESX) is the expensive stuff.  If
you buy the vmotion add on, you can shuttle vm's from one Virtual
Infrastructure to another (all of the VMs live on a SAN).

Hugh