[lug] OSS Discovery

Walter Pienciak walter at pienciak.org
Thu Dec 13 10:56:27 MST 2007

A friend of mine from Co Springs just realeased a new piece of
Open Source software, a Ruby app that will traverse your system
(all or part as specified) and do an inventory on Open Source
software you have.

I thought I would throw this to the list, as it's new software,
and the application fingerprint database isn't comprehensive.
It's built in a way to make community contributions (application
fingerprints) easy.  I also know he's looking for feedback.

http://ossdiscovery.opensource.collab.net/

It has two intended uses that I can see:

1) Help people understand just how much Open Source software is
in use.

2) Companies that develop/provide commercial software are
concerned about the rat's nest of licensing and how it all impacts
their own product.  This helps them find all the stuff on their
systems.

Walter