[lug] HW Problem Finally Solved

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Dec 15 13:09:01 MST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 12:14:10PM -0700, George Sexton wrote:
> The obvious "SuperMicro sucks don't buy them" isn't it. I've got 5 units

No, Supermicro definitely does not suck.

I was putting together a storage server a few years ago and had, I think,
4 or 8 SATA ports in it in addition to the 4 on-board, plus one PATA device
for the root file-system.  It would lock up during boot in the BIOS.

I contacted Supermicro about it and they actually set up a system of a very
similar configuration in their test lab and, after one false start, they
were able to reproduce the problem.  A couple of days later they had a new
BIOS ready for me to try.  I was very impressed.

They are far from perfect, but I've been very happy with them.

Sean
--
 "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
                 -- Walter Bagehot