[lug] Java and firefox on linux and linux hosted OSs

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Tue Dec 18 07:56:56 MST 2007

I think if Sun wonders why java has not become more common, they should
consider the fact that it doesn't really work in a lot of real environments,
especially current hardware. Unfortunately, the app I am trying to test wants
java 1.4.2, which makes this harder. I think I'm going to upgrade to the
latest java to see if I can at least get my browsers to stop crashing.

32bit Centos vmware guest: Firefox disappears when I type a java-using site
into the location bar and hit go. (I am using symbolic liunks, not copies of
the plugin module per instructions) Konqueror complains it isn't a browser
supported by the application, and buttons on the app don't work.

64bit WinXP vmware guest on a Kubuntu laptop: the laptop locks solid (won't
respond to network either) if Firefox accesses any java site. Just opening IE
with java installed locks it, too.

64bit Centos 5 guest and 64 bit Fedora 7 and Kubuntu hosts don't even like to
admit that java is installed.

Does anyone have java working with any browser on any of these platforms? I
really had hopes for the 32 bit Centos image...

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology
http://www.astraltrading.com   Divination and Science Fiction