[lug] ata drive problem on boot

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 19 19:40:07 MST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:56 AM, gordongoldin at aim.com wrote:

> ata1.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)

A little Googling seems to indicate that this was happening to someone
on the kernel list clear back into 2005.  There was discussion that
the errors encountered at that time were an indication that things
were still "working" but even Linus himself said something along the
lines of, "We're getting interrupts when we're in a place in the code
where we think we've turned them off."  Or something like that.

Didn't look like they ever nailed it down.  Perhaps whatever kernel
code has come along for the ride clear into 2007 without a real fix.

More Googling revealed this tidbit:

Which seems to indicate that if you boot your kernel with the
"irqpoll" flag set, the problem goes away but could cause performance
problems.

YMMV,

--
Nate Duehr