[lug] Two more weeks...

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Sun Dec 23 12:53:27 MST 2007

Hi List;

I have an AMD based hp laptop
hp pavillion dv6000

I'm not a newbie to Linux but this box is giving me major issues. I get a bios
error warning at boot time but I don't think this is the main problem.

Fedora seems to install but boots only to a blank screen after. Once the
screen works I cant get the broadcom wireless to work properly.

I had everything working at one point with Kubuntu but the wireless driver
started to cause major issues (lots of warnings, program crashes, etc)

The laptop belongs to a friend - I always stick with Intel centrino laptops.
I'd like to get him setup with a distro that requires very little maintenance
on his part (he's a newbie) and one that is highly stable. Maybe a mepis
distro? My wife has run mepis for 3 years now without a single minute of
downtime due to updates or other OS issues.

However I cannot get Mepis to load on this box.

I'll bring the laptop and several distros (I have copies of Mepis, Kubuntu and
Fedora.

Thanks in advance for the help I really don't want my frient to go back to
windows.