[lug] 5 Jan installfest.

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Jan 3 13:08:11 MST 2008

Create /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 and make them the same size.  Set the partition type to fd, then use mdadm to create the mirror.  The performance will be terrible and you wouldn't want to do it for anything other than the experience of using the commands.  You can practice failing a "drive" by changing the partition type of /dev/sda2 to be something else and doing a mkfs.

So, you can practice using RAID (RAID1 with 2 partitions, RAID5 with three) and the commands while you only have one drive, but you'll need to completely redo the RAID after the new drives arrive.

Hugh