[lug] Comcast Egress Filtering Port 25

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Jan 5 23:59:34 MST 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:57:29AM -0700, Bear Giles wrote:
> I know I'm in the minority here, but I would be happy to see comcast add
> port 25 filtering.  The ratio of pwned spam sites vs. legitimate users must

I agree.  Especially since port 25 is for *INCOMING* mail and users sending
outgoing mail should be using 587 anyway.  Though I must say that of the
spam I see making it through to my box, comcast isn't a big contributor, in
general I think the days of end-users being able to directly connect to
port 25 of random systems is well past us.

A lot of the spam that makes it through to my mailbox comes from obviously
end-user IP blocks, particularly roadrunner and ttnet.net.

> I do the same thing with my own email, incidently.  All of my mail, both
> ways, goes over an openvpn connection.

My default route goes over an OpenVPN connection.  This is why I don't care
about the security of WEP.  :-)

Sean
--
 Get your data structures correct first, and the rest of the program will
 write itself.  -- David Jones