[lug] Open source laptops for kids - OLPC offer

Jordan Crouse jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Sun Jan 6 14:05:44 MST 2008

Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Neal McBurnett wrote:
>
>> I got my OLPC today :-)   The screen is so sharp in non-backlit mode!!
>>
>> How many folks have already gotten them?
>
> I got mine on Dec 20th, right on time for Christmas. Of course I had
> bought it for myself as a Birthday present the month previous (Nov 12 @
> ~6am :).
>
> The screen in back-light mode is incredibly sharp, I only use the
> backlight when needed. It is indeed a pretty cool machine. My only gripe
> is that it will not sleep, it is either on or off. But apparently that is
> supposed to be fixed in the next release of the software. TTYL.

A common myth.  Suspend and resume has been working for quite a while -
and it though it still has bugs, its probably way better then anything
you are used to.  It just doesn't happen *automatically* (yet).

In the mean time, you can suspend it just like every other linux device
on the planet:  echo "mem" > /sys/power/state as root.

Jordan