[lug] Open source laptops for kids - OLPC offer

Jordan Crouse jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Tue Jan 8 22:24:52 MST 2008

Neal McBurnett wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:05:44PM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
>> Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
>>> ... My only gripe
>>> is that it will not sleep, it is either on or off. But apparently that is
>>> supposed to be fixed in the next release of the software. TTYL.
>> A common myth.  Suspend and resume has been working for quite a while -
>> and it though it still has bugs, its probably way better then anything
>> you are used to.  It just doesn't happen *automatically* (yet).
>>
>> In the mean time, you can suspend it just like every other linux device
>> on the planet:  echo "mem" > /sys/power/state as root.
>
> Thanks!  But for me it doesn't stay asleep.  If the lid is open, it
> comes back on when I type a character in my ssh session, or within a
> few minutes even if I don't (perhaps keepalive network packets from
> ssh, or regular presences updates from the xmpp neighborhood server.)

Yes. Also, it will wake up when you type on the keyboard, move the mouse
or press any of the buttons.

Now remember that "sleep" on the OLPC is a little bit confusing to begin
with, because the panel will stay on, and it doesn't "look" like it
suspended.  You are seeing the DCON holding the screen in a frozen
state.  You can tell it is suspended, because the power LED will blink.

> If the case is shut, it instantly comes back on(!).  Perhaps the mouse
> pad some how notices some static??

Hmmm - it shouldn't do that.  Mine stays down for the count.  Are you
running joyride?  If so, then OHM might be running, and screwing things up.

Jordan