[lug] IrDA receiver for Via EPIA M10000?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Jan 13 14:50:26 MST 2008

I'm just about finished with my wireless MythBox - I'll post pictures
and a howto on my web site when it's done.  All I have left is to add an
infrared receiver so I can use a remote with it.  The EPIA M10000 has a
FIR connector, but I can't find many notes on how to get it working.
There is a 10 pin serial connector (not a DB9, but 10 pins in two rows
on the motherboard) that I can use with a serial IR receiver.  Or I
could try a USB dongle or USB connected receiver.

Anyone added an IR to their system recently and want to fill me in on
how they did it - hardware and software?  It seems USB IrDA dongles are
supported in 2.6 now though I'm wondering how to configure them.  I
don't get the feeling it's like LIRC configuration, though I could be
wrong.  LIRC has lots of documentation on how to use it so at the moment
I'm leaning toward buying an serial IR reciever and a 10-pin to DB9
cable.

Comments or ideas?
--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org