[lug] BLUG_talk > /dev/youtube ?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Jan 19 16:56:05 MST 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 08:56:07AM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>Heh.  Not as easy as one might like; see

Indeed.  I started looking at doing this 3 years or so ago and decided to
pass on it at the time.  I just didn't have the time to fart with getting
it really set up and doing the appropriate transcoding and everything that
would be required.  It may be that MythTV makes this easier now.

The solution I ended up using was to get one of those Neuros OSD devices
that you can put an SD card or similar in.  It can take S-Video or
composite in, and audio, and give you a file output.  The user interface
even lets you say how long to record it, so I'd just check the length of
the recording I wanted to transfer from VHS, set it up, and then it would
take care of itself.

The down side is that it'll stop the recording at 2GB and start another one
if it needs to, leaving about a 10 or 20 second gap there.  Also, the user
interface isn't great, so it can be a pain to set up the recordings,
specify the SMB server you want to record to if you don't want to fart with
the SD cards, etc...

Maybe they finally have new firmware available for it, it's been almost a
year since I got it, but over the 3 months or so I was using it more
actively there wasn't any (despite their talking about how it's strength
was being open to all the Linux hackers to improve).

Sean
--
 The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky
                 -- Solomon Short