[lug] VPN solution

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 24 17:03:28 MST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:54:34 -0700
gsexton at mhsoftware.com (George Sexton) wrote:

> I need to come up with a solution to allow remote windows clients
> network access to my Linux samba server.
>
> I've just spent a day trying to get pptpd to work and I've finally
> given up.
>
> I'm looking at the documentation for openvpn and it looks like
> openvpn is pretty comlpex to configure as well. I would really like
> to avoid travelling to the various remote sites to setup the VPN
> client, which it looks like OpenVPN would pretty much require.

Well, I use OpenVPN pretty extensively, and have helped some folks
using windows clients with it and I don't find it very difficult to
setup.

If the windows clients are all in the same remote network, you can use
an existing linux box on that net to setup a openvpn bridge back to
your samba machine network pretty easily. If they aren't then you
should be able to send (encrypted) openvpn keys and an .ovpn file to
each of the clients that needs the vpn, and have them unpack it,
install the windows openvpn and click on the .ovpn file to bring it up.

> Since I really don't have another day or three to devote to this, can
> anyone recommend a commercial hw solution that will actually work?

Sorry, not I. Openvpn has met all my vpn needs. ;(

Good luck.

kevin