[lug] VPN solution

Ben bluey at iguanaworks.net
Fri Jan 25 09:22:09 MST 2008

More detail of my ssh / putty port forwarding to access samba share
remotely:

The bulk of what I did is from
http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php

This talks about the idiosyncrasies of windows port forwarding and the
like. The patch for XP SP2 you have to install, the loop back device
because if you bind directly to port 139 you disable local windows file
sharing, etc. If you don't mind disabling local windows file sharing,
setting up the Windows client is a lot simpler.

What I did on top of that was really just locking down the port
forwarding as best I could. I configured sshd to only allow admin users
and the user "remote". The user remote has a shell of /bin/false and
password authentication disabled. So you can only login as user remote
with the ssh key and even then you don't get shell access. I made ssh
keys for each remote computer that I wanted to have access and converted
the private key to putty's format (.ppk) via puttygen. If anyone has
ideas for locking this down further, please let me know. On each remote
computer, I created a putty "saved session" with all the settings for
port forwarding:

Server IP Address: the.ip.address
Auto-login username: remote
SSH: Don't Allocate a pseudo-terminal
SSH: Don't start a shell or command at all
SSH" Private key for authenteticate: generatedkey.ppk
Tunnels: L10.1.1.1:139 127.0.0.1:139

Then, an icon on the desktop that runs "putty -load "remote access
session" that runs the saved session I just created. Then users just
double click on that icon and setup all the portforwarding and click on
a link to "\\10.1.1.1" to access the samba server. They have to login to
the samba server with their normal usernname/password -- the port
forwarding / stunnel is independent of samba username, so they can log
off the samba share and log back in as a new user with the same stunnel,
etc.

Once it's setup it works great.

Ben