[lug] Daily system crash....

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jan 28 19:29:06 MST 2008

David Morris wrote:
[...]
> I did realize another variable which changed about the time
> I first noticed the problem:  I started connecting to a VPN
> using the Cisco VPN client.  I have no clue if the problem
> started before or after I first connected the VPN, but it
> was near the same time.  Of course, it was also about the
> same time that I started using the system as a development
> platform on a regular basis, so again it could just be
> coincidence.

Does Cisco's client muck with the IP stack the way it used to on
Windows?  (If it does, would that be a kernel module, or something
else?)  If it's running in kernel space I'd guess that to be the problem.

> I've wanted to re-install Debian as the x86 architecture as
> I wanted to re-partition a hard disk and also found 64-bit
> just makes life annoying as I still need 32-bit debian
> installed for a variety of reasons....and don't make use of
> anything 64-bit provides.

What reasons?  I'm using 64 bit and don't have any reasons to use 32 (I
thought Acrobat Reader might be, but it isn't).

Dave