[lug] Inexpensive dual DVI video card PCI-E

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jan 29 12:08:53 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 11:35 -0700, Carl Wagner wrote:
> What is a good and inexpensive video card to use with Linux, that is
> dual DVI out for a PCI-Express slot? Not for games, mostly development
> and SA type activities.
> I will probably run it at 1600x1280 using analog monitors with
> DVI-to-VGA adapters initially.
> I have heard that the Linux drivers for Nvidia are better than for ATI?

That is my opinion.  I only buy Nvidia for my Linux machines because I
like the high performance and that has tended to out-weigh the
disadvantages of closed-source drivers for me.

Ironically, right now I am running all my Nvidia-equipped Linux systems
with the open-source, low performance nv driver for various reasons and
I never did get around to installing Linux on my Windows Vista machine.

Probably something in Nvidia's 7xxx series would do the job for you and
not be very expensive since the 7's are last generation.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>