[lug] Daily system crash....

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jan 29 18:58:45 MST 2008

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:
> [...]
>> But for those that love GUI's I hear Synaptic is pretty good too, and
>> have used it on occasion on Ubuntu, because it's already just kinda
>> sitting there staring at me from the menus... daring me to use it.
>
> Does Synaptic keep track of what's been auto installed and what was
> actually requested?  It didn't seem to last I looked.  Without that it's
> just apt-get with eye candy.

Hmm, not sure.  There was a long and very boring discussion on the
Debian-User list (which is just a flood of continual crud these days
into a folder that I read once in a while while making massive use of
the delete key) that included both package maintainers and the author or
aptitude, and they summarized at the end the features/issues with both
aptitude and synaptic...

But I didn't care too much.  Aptitude works so well I don't bother much
with synaptic except on that one laptop that actually has X on it
because I'm playing with Ubuntu again on it.  It's just a "mess around"
box.

Command line works, and always has... hard to teach this old dog new
tricks.  I hate reaching for the mouse -- I get enough of that on my
(mandated) Windows machine at the office.  At least they buy IBM/Lenovo
and the keyboard is great... and the laptop has the "nubby" and none of
that silly reaching for the touchpad...

Nate