Cell Wireless (was: Re: [lug] Kite Net)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Feb 4 13:04:47 MST 2008

Jason Vallery wrote:
> On a related note, I just signed up for the 3G service from AT&T and it
> is AMAZING.  I'm consistently seeing speeds of 1.5Mbps all over the
> Longmont, Boulder, Firestone area on my laptop, even while riding in a
> moving vehicle.

We mostly use the Sprint equivalent service, because the TOS for them
were much better than most of the others.  If you actually read the TOS,
it's shocking how limited they say they are.  I don't remember exactly
what the problem was with AT&T, but I do recall some of them had
limitations like running servers or VPNs over them, which made them
totally not an option for us.

With Sprint I'm seeing around 170KB/sec down, 120KB/sec up, and ping
times of around 100ms.  It's actually quite reasonable.  The ping time
is quite good compared to other services we've looked at, where they
were more like 1 second.  Those services can be tough for using SSH over.

I've gotten to the point that when I'm at a client site I visit somewhat
frequently, I don't even use their office wireless.  They only have a T1
into that office, and so I get as much bandwidth on my card, and that
way they don't have to ask me "Is it you that's slagging the network?"

Sean
tummy.com, ltd. - Linux Consulting since 1995: Ask me about High
Availability
       Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/