[lug] VPN solution

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Feb 4 15:31:40 MST 2008

>>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at  9:23 PM, "Calvin Dodge" <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008 7:29 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
>> Shoot, if you're putting software on the Windows boxes just use openvpn.
>
> To quote George's original email:
>
>> I would really like to avoid travelling to the various remote sites to
>> setup the VPN client, which it looks like OpenVPN would pretty much require.
>
> FWIW, using the "recipe" in "Linux Networking Cookbook" (O'Reilly),
> I've gotten a Windows 2000 system to open a VPN connection (with
> Windows' built-in PPTP) to a remote Linux box (running Fedora 8).
> Just one problem - I can't get Samba to reply to the remote system
> (more research required - sigh).

<snip>

We have been able to configure OpenVPN to be quickly deployable to remote sites.  However, it was a rocky road at times and you do require a person to create the server keys.  At this point we have about 50 users connecting at times via OpenVPN.  The system is reliable and reasonably user friendly with its little system tray icon.  I do like the ability to push routes and DNS entries to the clients.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
Information Technology