[lug] Daily system crash....

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Feb 6 11:36:13 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 11:22 -0700, George Sexton wrote:
> Well, what happened today was the screen activated when I pressed the
> Shift key.
>
> I had left the console logged in.
>
> I could type a command, but any command that I typed generated a command
> not found error.
>
> If I remember previous crashes, I can activate other consoles by
> pressing CTRL-ALT-F?, but they don't let me login.

Oh.  That's ... really bad.

I've seen that before and it usually means the OS lost the system disk
in some way.  The last time it happened to me, the drive electronics
were dead.

It could be a driver issue though, losing the drive controller IRQ or
something like that.

The command you needed was dmesg which will output the kernel log.  Hard
to run the command when your disk is dead though.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>