[lug] Library locations

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Feb 9 22:25:56 MST 2008

Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
[...]
> I concur here.  If you are installing via the packaging system of the
> installed Linux distro (RPM, DEB, etc), then just /usr/{lib,bin} and the
> like.  And for the rpm based distros, there are great tools out there
> (rpmdevtool, rpmlint) to help you make sure that all the files you
> package are in the right locations and marked correctly.

I wouldn't say this automatically.  When the distro developers make a
package they leave some things alone, like /usr/local that belongs to
the system admin.  But things in /usr/lib belong to them so they do what
  they want and coordinate their packages accordingly.  If you use
/usr/lib then you have to pay attention to what the developers are doing
and stay out of their way.

That's not to say you can't use /usr/lib.  You can certainly do what you
want with your systems.  But you should understand what your "upstream"
developers are doing before you do things that might conflict with what
they are doing.

Dave