[lug] Off topic: oversize x11 screen capture?

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Sun Feb 10 11:44:04 MST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the notes on xwd and ksnapshot.  Unfortunately in my tests
they do the same thing as xv - they only capture the visible portion
of a large window.

It seems that none of these tools capture the unshown portion of
the window - the part that is off the edge of the root pane, beyond
the edge of the monitor.

For example, take an xterm and drag it to the edge of your screen so
only the top left corner of the xterm is visible.  Is there a way to
capture the entire xterm?  In my case I have a window that's far
larger than the screen, so it spreads way beyond the edges of the
screen.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com