[lug] tracking down DVD drive problems

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Feb 10 20:47:54 MST 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 19:49 -0700, Lee Woodworth wrote:
> Are you sure it isn't media related? It is probably worthwhile to search
> the list archives for cd/dvd media discussions. I've seen media cause
> I/O errors, even multiple disks from the same package.

Pretty sure.  It happens with a number of different disks.  The only
thing the disks appear to have in common is that I store them in those
big books of CD/DVD sleeves, not their original packaging.  So it's
possible they're scratched.  I can check by placing the same DVDs in my
laptop DVD drive.  My gut feeling, however, is that isn't the problem.

Note:  I just checked and the last DVD that was causing problems with
those drives is working fine from my laptop.  While it may still be the
disks, I'm more inclined to think it's the drives or the controllers.

My previous post asked about the kernel revision too.  I rebooted into
the older kernel (2.6.23.1-21.fc7) and ran into the same problems
with /dev/sr0 as I did with the new kernel.  So at least I feel I've
eliminated the kernel update as the problem.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org