[lug] Hard Drive Failure / somehow software issue?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Feb 12 16:56:32 MST 2008

George Sexton wrote:
> bgiles at coyotesong.com wrote:
>> RAID is dangerous because "it should be able to handle that".  It
>> does...
>> and then people are complacent and ignore the hardware errors until
>> multiple disks go bad and suddenly they've lost everything.  Or at least
>> it's very difficult to get it back, depending on the RAID configuration
>> and which disks went.
>
> High quality HW RAID OTOH CAN handle it.
Not when you have multiple disk failures.

To be clear, I wasn't saying that RAID can't handle a single disk
failure.  The problem is getting a false sense of security and ignoring
explicit warnings of (incipient) hardware failure since "RAID can handle
it".  It can only handle one bad disk typically, then you're losing data
again.  RAID buys you a bit of extra security, but you still have to
maintain the hardware.