[lug] DHCP has stopped DHCPing

Brian Fromme fromme at cyborgs.com
Sat Feb 16 14:50:14 MST 2008

OK, that's an interesting coincidence for me.  I have a BEFVP41 V2, with a
WRT54GS inside of that subnet.  Other than being a pain to configure the
wireless to work like that, which could have been my own lack of knowledge,
it worked just great for two years.  Of course, I had to do the usual reboot
of the wireless router every so often, because it is a Linksys after all.

Last week, the wireless router was alive but couldn't ping the VPN router
address, so was basically useless.  I have no clue what could have set the
thing off.  I reloaded my saved config, which didn't help.  I spent about 1
day trying other configurations to see if I could set a static route instead
of the RIP I was using - no luck.  Now the WRT54GS looks like a very nice
candidate for OpenWRT or a robot breadboard.

So, in a way, I have a similar line of reasoning.  Does anyone have
experience with these Linksys wireless routers failing after a few years?
Should I scrap my Linksys-based home network model for something more
reliable?

Also, has anyone setup a WRT54G inside another router?  What I wanted to do
was setup a separate subnet, like:

... internet
 BEFVP41 := 192.168.1.0 subnet (@ 192.168.1.1)
  WRT54GS := 192.168.2.0 subnet ((@ 192.168.2.1) which never worked,
     - I seem to recall a Linksys error when I tried this, and it
       wouldn't let me change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0

What I ended up doing, which worked fine for the past two years was:
... internet
 BEFVP41 := 192.168.1.0 subnet (@ 192.168.1.1)
  WRT54GS := 192.168.1.0 subnet (@ 192.168.1.2)
     WRT runs RIP, but not DHCP
 I run DHCP/DNS from a Linux box, with MAC addresses configured to ensure
 that each box comes up at the same, known address.

Any advice for me?

Thanks,
 Brian

PS.  Sorry I answered your question with my own.  Although DHCP is easy on a
Linksys router, you might consider running DHCP/DNS on a Linux box in your
network if you have more than a few computers.