[lug] Request/bug tracking systems--suggestions for small team

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sat Feb 16 17:35:49 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 01:48 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> > I know subversion is quite popular and I'm sure it's quite stable, but
> > when I tried it I found it far too difficult to secure compared to the
>
> Wait, what?  You know you can use it over SSH just like CVS?  Add a group for
> the version control users on the server, create the repo, and chgrp the
> repository, mode g+w for files and g+ws for the directories.  Then just "svn
> co svn+ssh://servername/var/svn/reponame/" to check it out using SSH.

Yeah, I'm sure I can.  But I never got it working.  This was several
years back and I probably did it all wrong.  That's not the point
though.  I had no compelling reason to make the switch other than
"everyone else is switching".  I tried it.  It didn't work for my needs
in a fairly quick manner.  I switched back.  I'm quite happy.  If the
need arise again, I'll try it again.  I won't fail to get it working
then.  But I need a reason to try.

FWIW I believe I was trying to do something like pserver logins.  I
think (and this is digging through an already weakening old memory) the
problem was I couldn't figure out how to get anonymous logins so I could
share access to my personal projects.  I know you can do it.  But it
should have been a simple task in order to replace CVS with SVN .  I
couldn't figure it out, for whatever reason anyone wants to choose.  Of
course, no one's ever asked to work on the code I made public so the
point was moot.  And now I'm happy as snot with CVS.  C'est la vie.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org