[lug] Off topic: oversize x11 screen capture?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Feb 21 08:09:12 MST 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:44:04AM -0700, Steve Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the notes on xwd and ksnapshot.  Unfortunately in my tests
> they do the same thing as xv - they only capture the visible portion
> of a large window.
>
> It seems that none of these tools capture the unshown portion of
> the window - the part that is off the edge of the root pane, beyond
> the edge of the monitor.
>
> For example, take an xterm and drag it to the edge of your screen so
> only the top left corner of the xterm is visible.  Is there a way to
> capture the entire xterm?  In my case I have a window that's far
> larger than the screen, so it spreads way beyond the edges of the
> screen.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

I noticed something similar.  I got a screenshoot of the whole window, but everything that was "off screen" was garbled.

You could try looking into xvfb and see if taking a screenshot of the root window would work (I used xvfb in the past for dealing with a java app that ran on a server with no X running).

Hugh