[lug] Mailman question

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Mon Mar 10 08:25:57 MDT 2008

Sure.  I have a cron job set up to start capturing the packets by running
a script:
-------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

FILE=$(/bin/date | /usr/bin/sed -e 's/  */_/g')

/usr/sbin/tcpdump -i eth0 -s0 -w $FILE &
PID=$!

/bin/sleep 1800

kill $PID
Then when I want to look at the file in readable form I use:
tcpdump -s0 -A -vvvv -r <filename> > outfile

At the known time the other guy connects and attempts to log in.  I used a
similar procedure except from the command line directly to capture my own
attempt to connect.

Chip