[lug] What distro am I running?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Mar 10 11:13:16 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 10:51 -0600, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:
> I can hand-craft and maintain a special-purpose script to puzzle it
> out, but I thought I'd ask whether there's a simple, standard command,
> analogous to uname, to tell me what the heck distro I'm running.  I'd
> like to be able to invoke it within scripts that do other,
> distro-specific stuff.

Looks like you've been down the same path as me.  I did the exact same
thing you did last year for one of our products.  I'm not aware of any
common/standardized distro identifier but if you find one I'd surely
like to know about it!
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org