[lug] 1 T HDDs

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Mar 11 15:30:06 MDT 2008

Jason Vallery wrote:
> Good timing.  This article just popped up in my RSS reader:
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2275009,00.asp

The comments about Samsung coming out of nowhere are interesting...
because I have had some really good luck with NON computer hardware
(consumer grade entertainment things, montiors, etc...) from Samsung
over the last few years too.

Perhaps they have an edge on having good engineering, or the "internal
recipe" is just about "right" for balancing all the factors that lead to
a product line, because the stuff seems to work "well enough" and has
decent user interfaces, design, etc... but also seems to last a while,
and stay very price-competitive.

I don't think I even realized they were a player in the drive market
now.  Who's fabrication facility or technology did they buy to get
started, or did they start their drive tech from the ground up?  Or have
they been selling stuff "forever" and I'm just clueless about them?
GRIN...

Anyone know what the "no-name" drives that Microcenter has in the giant
racks in the back right there are?  I have used quite a few of those
going for "cheap" and really haven't had much in the way of problems
with them, either...

They often put those same drives out on their clearance tables.  Every
once in a while they put something I wanted but wouldn't buy at full
price on the clearance tables, or something useful... I like those
tables for a "surprise" when I go there in person.  Sometimes you get
something good for real cheap.

Also interesting that they bash Hitachi.  Sometimes performance suffers,
but the older tech has all the bugs/kinks worked out.  They don't really
give any nod to that concept.

Nate