[lug] One laptop per child

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Mar 12 16:39:12 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 12:23 -0600, phillip tribble wrote:
> Regarding http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17112/1090/  ,
>
> This is an interesting article on how they are trying to push Windows
> XP on the OLPC. Quoting the author "It looks like the good Nicholas
> wasn't satisfied with providing these unfortunate kids with something
> with which they were unfamiliar. So he's thought of giving them
> something which they encounter every day - viruses.".

Why *do* people go off on this?

Okay, as far as *I* know, Negroponte and OLPC have no intentions of
promoting Windows on OLPC.  What they *did* do is provide minimal
technical support to Microsoft engineers and agreed to put a memory card
slot on the hardware.

It was entirely Microsoft's idea to put Windows on the OLPC.

If anyone knows differently, I'd like to know.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>