[lug] 1T + SATA 300 performance

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Fri Mar 21 20:49:24 MDT 2008

Your math isn't screwed up, but your assumptions about how disks
perform...that's another story. :)

The PCI bus is a huge bottleneck in your setup.  You also aren't taking
into account that 1.5 Gb/sec and 3.0 Gb/sec are only the theoretical max
for the SATA interface only.  You have to factor in the fact the disks
are only spinning at 7200 RPM.  On top of all that, I think you are
using RAID 5 which has lousy write performance.

Dan