[lug] Booting issue. Deb Etch

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 31 12:11:39 MDT 2008

I attempted an upgrade (Sarge -> Etch) on a AMD K6-III machine, and was
having an issue during the boot process.  I finally gave up and just
reinstalled.  Same problem.

The problem:
During the boot process it gets to a boot message saying udev is being
fully populated.  Then I get two messages about the BusLogic adapter
being successful, then...

INIT: Cannot execute /sbin/getty
INIT: Id 1 respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id 2 respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id 3 respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id 4 respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id 6 respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
INIT: Id 5 respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes

If left it seems to repeat in some sense.  If I hit Ctrl C after the
second BusLogic message it sometimes completes the boot process.  It
sometimes produces those INIT messages too.  I don't know if Ctrl C does
anything, but it gives me something to try.

I have the 2.6.18-6-486 kernel installed.  I tried the 2.6.18-6-686
kernel but it segfaults during the boot.  Once running the machine seems
to be OK.

Gary