[lug] Etch AMD kernels not working

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 3 12:40:23 MDT 2008

I just upgraded another machine from Sarge to Etch.  This time a SMP
machine (Tyan S2466 MB and a pair of 2800+ Athlon CPUs).  The -k7
kernels do not work -- at least two anyway.  I tried both 2.6.18-6-k7
and 2.6.18-4-k7 with similar results.  When either of these kernels are
attempted, the boot process hangs at random places.  The machine is
currently operating with 2.6.18-6-486, though I'm just now noticing that
only one CPU is showing up with top.  There doesn't appear to be a SMP
option with the 486 kernels.

I also had an issue with a AMD K6-III 450 MHz machine not working with
the -686 kernel as it was reported it should.

Am I missing something here?  I can't believe I'm the first to stumble
upon problems with AMD CPUs and Etch.

Gary