[lug] Command-Line search through thousands of files?

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Apr 10 17:48:01 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:36:15AM -0500, Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:24:50PM -0600, Paul Ohm wrote:
>
> > I tried sending this a few months ago, but I think it never arrived.
> > Let me try again...
> >
> > I have more than 20k (growing every day) small text files (e-mail
> > messages in separate files using mh!) that I occasionally
> > need to search through at the command line.  Grep is too slow for my
> > tastes with this many files, so I was hoping to find a good indexer plus
> > command line search tool.  I'd love to use something powerful like
> > Lucene, but it seems like Lucene comes with a lot of extra cruft and
> > overhead if all you are doing is command line searching.
> >
> > Any tips?
>
> mairix

Yeah - I use mairix some.

Also in that space:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/

Tracker was part of the default gnome desktop in ubuntu gutsy, but
is optional in hardy, I think.  Both command-line and gui searches.

http://www.beagle-project.org

I guess beagle includes lucene so perhaps it is already more than you want.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/