[lug] Thanks!

jordan at cosmicpenguin.net jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Fri Apr 11 10:18:47 MDT 2008

Hey all - I wanted to send a short note and thank you for inviting me to
speak last night.  I had fun, and I hope that everybody learned something
that that I wasn't too boring.  I sent my slides to Jeffrey, so hopefully
they will appear on the web site soon.

I wanted to point out a few URLs for projects that I mentioned:

Of course, there is http://wiki.laptop.org - this has lots of information
about the past, present, and future status of the project.  If you search
hard enough, you'll find lots of information about the system software and
the history of bringing it up.  In particular, the first six months of the
devel@ mailing list archives should be interesting reading.

I discussed briefly coreboot (formerly LinuxBIOS).  Hopefully at some
point our AMD coreboot team can come back and talk to you in more detail
about coreboot itself, but in the meantime, I urge you to look over the
website: http://www.coreboot.org.

I also mentioned that the Open Firmware code was available.  Here is the
link to the SVN web viewer: http://openbios.org/viewvc/?root=OpenFirmware.
 As I mentioned to somebody after the talk, if you are one of the special
people in the world that can make heads or tails of Forth, then you might
be of special value to the Coreboot team - we have been looking for people
to help us get OFW up and running on generic X86 platforms with coreboot
so that we can make it available as a payload option.  I think it would be
pretty exciting for people to be able to chose OpenFirmware instead of a
traditional BIOS bootloader.  So go on over there and look over the code,
and make yourself known on the coreboot mailing lists if you can help.

Finally, I shamelessly "borrowed" a comic from XKCD at the end of my talk
- I mentioned that if you didn't already know and love XKCD that it would
be worth your time to do so; you can take an evening and catch up at
http://xkcd.org.

Thank you very much.  Please feel free to email me questions or comments
either at my personal address:  jordan at cosmicpenguin.net or at my work
address: jordan.crouse at amd.com.  I hope to see you all at another meeting
soon.

Jordan