[lug] C program freezing machine

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Apr 15 13:24:37 MDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 12:57 -0600, Bear Giles wrote:
> (trying again... darn spf problems...)
>
> If you have the source code, use sysrlimit() to put limitations on
> memory usage.  This will let you confirm that the program isn't using
> more memory than you expected.  (Or you could run this via a debugger,
> in a wrapper program, etc.)
>
> Also, make sure he's using reputable libraries instead of writing his
> own, whenever possible.  It's easy to write algorithms that are
> technically correct, but a disaster in practice because they're ignorant
> of memory usage issues.

Oh yeah, both AMD and Intel provide libraries of CPU intensive code
(Fast Fourier Transforms, etc) that are pretty much the ultimate
optimized version of each algorithm for their CPU instruction sets and
cache sizes.  I believe you've got to pay to use them.
http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/307757.htm
http://developer.amd.com/tools/acml/Pages/default.aspx

There's liboil too, which tries to collect a few good optimized
algorithms, mostly multimedia stuff.  It's free software.
http://liboil.freedesktop.org/

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>