[lug] Etch AMD kernels not working

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 21 13:49:25 MDT 2008

Gary Hodges wrote:
> [...]

A lot of self replies, but I have some new information.  It seems the
issue is SMP, not a particular kernel flavor.  I compiled several SMP
486 and k7 kernels over the past week or so, and all locked the machine
either during boot or within 5 minutes of logging in.  I just grabbed
the config file of the single CPU 486 kernel that has been working fine
since the Etch upgrade a few weeks ago.  This is the default install
kernel.  The only change I made was adding SMP support and setting
Enhanced Real Time Clock Support as instructed in the SMP info section.
  That kernel locked the machine during boot.

To review:
AMD SMP machine ran 24/7 for the past 4-5 years without any trouble.
Tyan S2466 MB
2x Athlon 2800+ CPUs
Will not run as SMP since recent Etch upgrade.

Gary