[lug] Flakey Window/Workspace Focus

John Starkey jstarkey at breezedev.com
Sat Apr 26 10:48:45 MDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 08:10 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:14 AM, John Starkey <jstarkey at breezedev.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  I have 8 workspaces over two monitors. When I alt-F1, to move from
> >  workspace 2 to 1, for instance, it's up in the air whether the window on
> >  top will have focus.
>
> Hmm. On my sid (sidux) system with kde 3.5.9, alt-F1 brings up the
> menu! Googling for shortcuts, it appears that ctl-Fn provides for
> desktop switching.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I do customize that. I don't remember how
long ago, what distro or whether it was even KDE, alt-Fx was the default
for switching desktops on one of my older installs and I set that up
with each new install.

> When I do that, the window on top has focus

Yeah, it seems to be related to the ATI driver and dual monitors. But I
don't know how all that works on the KDE vs app window level. I had to
do a dist-upgrade today so I tried the newest drivers and something on
my system was preventing it from creating the deb successfully. I'll
have to try again later.

> (limited testing, since I normally use the pager in the bottom panel
> to switch dektops).

Thanks for mentioning that. I just tried with the pager and it acted the
same way it has been for me. I clicked WS 2 and then back to WS 1 (the
one I'm using to type this) and this reply window didn't have focus, the
iceweasel window in the other monitor had it.

Thanks for the info.

John