[lug] Re: LTS for the server

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Sat Apr 26 16:36:05 MDT 2008

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> The astute reader will notice I haven't mentioned SuSE.  The problem with
> it is that the "Open" release has very short life-cycles and there is not
> long life-cycle release that is freely available.  So you either need to
> commit to spending $400-ish/box/year or you need to commit to upgrading
> every
> 18 months.  That's a bit high of a price to pay just for the security
> updates.

I've given this some thought. The life-cycle for OpenSuSE is 2 years,
while for the SLES it's 5 years. So, for a machine with a
life-expectancy of 5 years you could plan on doing 2 upgrades of the
open product, or spending ~$2,000 for licensing. I guess if your
internal cost, and downtime/opportunity cost of performing an upgrade is
under $1,000, then OpenSuSE is the way to go.

I'm using it for our stuff and overall, I'm pretty happy.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.