[lug] maildir to database format?

David Kritzberg david.kritzberg at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 30 19:35:45 MDT 2008

Hello BLUG people,

I am trying to take the contents of an old mail list and turn it into
some data format that I can analyze.  The list is in maildir format.
I have been looking for any existing tools to convert this data.  I
actually just want information on threads created by an initial post,
and any replies, with the identity of the poster or replier, and the
subject line.  I'm trying to create a kind of social graph from this,
for consumption purposes for mailing list members who've stuck it out
on the list.  By the way, I'm not talking about the BLUG list, but
another one.  Has anyone got any advice or suggestion on how to get
started?

This might be a mess to work with.  I see in mutt (the only MUA I'm
really familiar with) that the thread characteristics are broken in
places, and I'm not sure how that might have happened, with many
contributors using many clients, and the mail list software and host
changing at least once over the course of the history I have (3 years,
5000 messages).

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Kritzberg