[lug] maildir to database format?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu May 1 09:30:33 MDT 2008

David Kritzberg wrote:
 > I am trying to take the contents of an old mail list and turn it into
 > some data format that I can analyze.  The list is in maildir format.

Maildir is just one file per message, so processing it is very easy.  Look
at the man page for "formail" for an example way to extract headers from
such a file.  formail is part of the procmail package, IIRC.

As far as threading, I believe JWZ has a threading algorithm that's got
some popularity.  I seem to recall seeing an implementation of it in
Python, and Python can also easily read and process one message per file
using the email library.

I don't know of anything existing that will do exactly what you want,
you'll probably have to get your hands dirty and build something, but the
above tools might help.

Sean