[lug] Web crawler advice

gordongoldin at aim.com gordongoldin at aim.com
Mon May 5 10:18:42 MDT 2008

 I'm doing a project to analyze text content on the web:

i need to:

start with a list of URLs
for each URL in the URL list
?? fetch the page
?? throw away non-English pages
?? extract the sentence text content, (not hidden text, menus, lists, etc.)
????? write that content to a file
?? extract all the links
????? add just the new links to the URL list (not those already in the list of URLs)

i could just use java, but then i would have to write everything.
beautiful soup (written in python) would probably work well to parse the pages, but i don't see that it can fetch pages.
i can't tell to what extent nutch can parse the pages. i know it can give me the links, but i don't know if it can extract just the text i care about.

Gordon Golding