[lug] audio questions

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu May 8 06:47:15 MDT 2008

Louis Miller wrote:

> That makes sense what you said about most people on the list ripping
> their entire music collection. Why would they want to rip CDs that
> they have on disc? Why not just leave them on disc? I can understand
> them ripping specific CDs, as the first part of the process, to put
> in their car stereo or on their portable mp3 player.
>

> I want to put spoken word CDs onto my computer and then onto my mp3
> player. I use the Pimsleur system for foreign-language study. I get
> them from the library, so it is more convenient to have a ton of them
> on my computer, where I can just stick them on my mp3 player at my
> leisure. Also, I don't have to worry about rushing the multi-disc
> sets back to the library. I can use the pack for a day, and return it
> real quick for the next library patron to use, so I think it is more
> considerate, too.
>
> I was using soundjuicer in Linux Mint to burn in mp3. I just learned
> how to enable mp3. The track data was coming out real funny. I
> renamed the files it produced, and it didn't show up on my mp3
> player's screen. Do all the ripping programs  download the artist and
> track information from the same database, or are there multiple
> databases?
>
> Louis

Louis,

Please keep the traffic on the list.  Others may find your questions
(and respective answers) useful.  I ripped most of my music because I
listen to music as a background activity while working on the computer.
  I also have a portable player.

Ripping audio CDs that you don't own is probably not legal.

I've not used soundjuicer so I can't speak to how it does things.  Most
of the open source programs I've seen download data from freedb.org.
Most of the commercial/proprietary ones seem to use gracenote.

I like to use Amarok to listen and manage the files/tags after I've
ripped them.  I've also use kid3 to edit tags for flac/ogg/mp3.

Hugh