[lug] audio questions

Nathan Berry nathan at nathan-berry.com
Thu May 8 08:25:56 MDT 2008

The reason I have ripped my CD collection is that I run an MP3 server on my
LINUX box.  I can listen to my music from anywhere I have internet access.
I have also converted my LPs to CDs and then ripped them as well ( I have
over 1000).  So my music collection is pretty good sized.  It is nice to
have my entire collection available to me when I am at work.  Just my two
cents.

Nathan

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:

> Louis Miller wrote:
>

> > That makes sense what you said about most people on the list ripping
> > their entire music collection. Why would they want to rip CDs that
> > they have on disc? Why not just leave them on disc? I can understand
> > them ripping specific CDs, as the first part of the process, to put
> > in their car stereo or on their portable mp3 player.
> >

> > I want to put spoken word CDs onto my computer and then onto my mp3
> > player. I use the Pimsleur system for foreign-language study. I get
> > them from the library, so it is more convenient to have a ton of them
> > on my computer, where I can just stick them on my mp3 player at my
> > leisure. Also, I don't have to worry about rushing the multi-disc
> > sets back to the library. I can use the pack for a day, and return it
> > real quick for the next library patron to use, so I think it is more
> > considerate, too.
> >
> > I was using soundjuicer in Linux Mint to burn in mp3. I just learned
> > how to enable mp3. The track data was coming out real funny. I
> > renamed the files it produced, and it didn't show up on my mp3
> > player's screen. Do all the ripping programs  download the artist and
> > track information from the same database, or are there multiple
> > databases?
> >
> > Louis
> >

> Louis,
>
> Please keep the traffic on the list.  Others may find your questions (and
> respective answers) useful.  I ripped most of my music because I listen to
> music as a background activity while working on the computer.  I also have a
> portable player.
>
> Ripping audio CDs that you don't own is probably not legal.
>
> I've not used soundjuicer so I can't speak to how it does things.  Most of
> the open source programs I've seen download data from freedb.org. Most of
> the commercial/proprietary ones seem to use gracenote.
>
> I like to use Amarok to listen and manage the files/tags after I've ripped
> them.  I've also use kid3 to edit tags for flac/ogg/mp3.
>

> Hugh

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it - even if I have said it -
unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

-- Buddha