[lug] audio questions

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Thu May 8 16:22:31 MDT 2008

If I recall the way ampache works is that it you use login to the web
application and request a playlist (.pls file).  The playlist is
generated on the fly and contains links which have an authentication
token in them.  When these are requested by your media player it
authenticates them by the URL requested.  The links expire after some
configurable expiration time.  The downside to this approach is that
you can't save the playlist locally.  You always have to request a new
one when you want to listen.

Of course it has been a few years since I've used this solution so
things could have changed significantly.

-J