[lug] audio questions

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu May 8 17:06:19 MDT 2008

Hugh Brown wrote:
 > Do you use a portable player for your flac files?  If so, what do you use
to manage the putting on and taking off of the music?  I'm assuming any flac
collection would easily dwarf a 30g player.

I have a script that will convert a flac into an ogg or more recently into
mp3s.  For portable use, I find that 64kbps oggs sound fine to me, better
than 128kbps mp3s, and I use those for portable use.  I prefer oggs, but
having a car with an "ipod input" has limited my ability since I can't run
rockbox on the player I got.

The flacs are mostly for playing at home, where I have a stereo that in theory
  I could tell the difference on (though I haven't listened "seriously" to it
in probably a decade), and as the source so that I never have to spend all the
time re-ripping when I find that there's a new codec or new bit-rate that I want.

These are, as mentioned, all my own CDs, so I could re-rip them, I just don't
want to dedicate the time to having to do it again, and disc space is cheap.

One procedural issue: As I ripped them I put a little yellow "dot" in the
center ring of the CD to mark that I had done it.  I got a little box of
several hundred of these stickers at the office supply store.  I didn't have
much trouble keeping track of which ones I had ripped as I then would put them
in a cardboard box and put them into storage in the basement...

I'm using 192kbps mp3s in that car.  The nice thing about the ipod input is
that it charges as well as allowing the track changing buttons on the
stereo to work.  So I just leave the player in the ash tray except for
around one time out of five when it doesn't unpause when I start the car
and I have to open the ashtray and press the play button.

Sean