[lug] decoding weather data via radio Was: Time sync w/GPS or radio

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Sun May 11 20:16:56 MDT 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Jason Vallery wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> By weather data I'm assuming your talking about APRS on the amateur
> bands.

No actually.  I have a Oregon Scientific outdoor wireless temperature
station that the basestation has died.  There's a Davis wind/rain gauge
on the roof across the street I'd to listen to as well.

> Typically you need a TNC or radio modem which is a device that
> converts the analog signal to digital.  These are bi-directional.  I
> know there is also a project out there called AGWPE that attempts to
> do this with a sound card.  You might take a look at that if you don't
> want to invest in new hardware.
>
> -Jason

That's kinda close.  I can tune my old Radio Shack scanner to the right
frequency and plug the scanner into the soundcard.  I need software to
convert into bits...  I'll Google AGWPE and see what it can do...

Mike